Influencer advertising is a classy subject nowadays, however it would not require a whole lot of work or a ton of cash to harness the ability of influencers in your model’s social media channels — and internet hosting one thing referred to as an Instagram takeover is among the lowest-effort, most natural methods to do exactly that.
Undecided what we’re speaking about? Instagram takeovers contain an individual or model posting in your Instagram channel to offer followers a peek at new and distinctive content material from one other perspective. Here is an instance of our buddies at WeWork taking on our Instagram account:
On this publish, we’ll dive into tips on how to host your individual Instagram takeover to drive engagement, model consciousness, and optimistic outcomes on your model.
What’s an Instagram Takeover?
An Instagram takeover is when somebody briefly takes over one other Instagram account to share authentic content material and interact with that account’s viewers. The commonest Instagram takeovers are ones the place an influencer or movie star takes over a model’s account.
However there are a number of completely different approaches to Instagram takeovers that may be useful to your model.
Different sorts of Instagram takeovers can embody:
- Worker takeovers
- Buyer or group member takeovers
- Occasion takeovers
- Product or provide promotions
Instagram takeovers are mutually useful for the visitor Instagrammer and the host account. The host can convey precious new content material to their followers with out having to create it themselves, and the visitor is ready to attain a wholly new viewers by posting on one other account.
Plus, Instagram takeovers assist domesticate good-faith relationships between influencers that may create inroads for future collaboration and cross-promotion.
Now, let’s dive into tips on how to get began together with your Instagram takeover.
Tips on how to Host an Instagram Takeover
1. Select what you wish to accomplish.
Earlier than selecting a visitor to host your model’s Instagram, you need to decide what you wish to obtain with the takeover. Ideally, your Instagram takeover will obtain a number of optimistic outcomes — however selecting a major purpose of the marketing campaign will assist decide which sort of visitor to ask.
Instagram takeover objectives might embody:
- Rising model consciousness. This may be measured by the variety of new followers the Instagram account positive aspects on account of the takeover.
- Selling a product, occasion, or provide. This may be measured by the variety of occasion registrations, provide redemptions, or lead kind submissions on account of the takeover.
- Driving engagement inside the Instagram group. This may be measured by the variety of likes, feedback, video and story views, and hyperlink clicks on account of the takeover.
2. Choose your visitor Instagrammer.
Now that you understand your purpose, you may have a better time discovering a visitor who could make it occur.
For instance, the group behind the award-winning musical Hamilton needed to familiarize followers with the performs revolving solid members.
To do that, Hamilton began #SwingSaturday on Instagram wherein a solid member who is ready to play a number of roles (often called a swing) takes over the official Hamilton Instagram.
There are just a few sorts of visitor Instagrammers you may invite to create content material on your takeover:
- Influencers inside your trade
- Staff at your organization
- Group members or clients
Whereas it is actually potential for Instagram takeover visitors to perform a number of objectives, we advocate selecting your visitor with the simplest technique in thoughts.
- Influencers will draw their followers to your Instagram with their endorsement of your model, so that they’re the very best match in case your major purpose is to extend model consciousness by rising followers.
- Staff will entice curiosity from their buddies and colleagues who desire a behind-the-scenes take a look at what they do at work day by day. They’re the very best match in case your major purpose is to drive engagement on Instagram.
- Group members and clients will publish enthusiastically about your model and present the worth of your product. They’re the very best match in case your major purpose is to advertise a product, occasion, provide, sign-up, or obtain.
Once more, these objectives aren’t mutually unique. Ideally, the content material your visitor creates will probably be extremely participating, shareable, and compelling to the viewer.
3. Resolve on the content material format and takeover logistics.
As soon as you’ve got discovered what you wish to accomplish and who will host your takeover, it is time to nail down the specifics of how the takeover will run. Beneath are our ideas of inquiries to reply whenever you meet together with your takeover host:
- When are you internet hosting the Instagram takeover, and the way lengthy will it final?
- Who will handle the account? Will the visitor get entry to your Instagram credentials, or will they ship you content material and captions to publish on their behalf?
- What number of instances per day will the host publish takeover content material? When you’ve got an optimum publishing schedule in thoughts, what instances per day will the host must publish?
- What hashtags will probably be used? Will you create a customized hashtag to advertise the takeover? Is there a most quantity of hashtags you need the visitor to make use of in any given caption?
- Which sorts of content material will probably be shared in the course of the takeover? Will the visitor publish pictures, movies, Instagram Tales, or reside movies? Will they publish a mixture of those codecs?
- How will each the visitor and the host promote the takeover on Instagram? Will you conform to promotion on Instagram or different channels main as much as the occasion?
- Are there any guardrails? Is there something the visitor should not report or point out over the course of the takeover?
As soon as the main points of the takeover are finalized, resolve how you may measure success over the course of the occasion.
4. Decide metrics to trace in the course of the takeover.
Relying on the objectives of your Instagram takeover, a few of these metrics will probably be extra vital than others. Beneath are the metrics we advocate monitoring over the course of your takeover:
- # of latest followers
- # of likes
- # of feedback
- # of mentions
- # of direct messages
- # of Instagram Story views
- # of reside video viewers
- # of Instagram Story clicks
- # of provide redemptions/app downloads (if you happen to promote a touchdown web page)
- # of attendees or sign-ups (if you happen to promote an occasion)
- Complete social referral site visitors to your web site
Qualitative metrics to maintain monitor of might additionally embody optimistic feedback on Instagram.
5. Promote the takeover throughout a number of platforms.
As soon as you’ve got discovered the main points of your Instagram takeover, it is time to begin getting folks enthusiastic about it.
A day or two earlier than the occasion, begin selling your upcoming Instagram takeover. If there are any contests, giveaways, or different incentives for folks to observe alongside, make these clear in your promotions.
After all, you’ll want to promote the upcoming takeover on Instagram — particularly if the takeover is occurring inside Instagram Tales or Instagram Stay and also you wish to drive guests to view these spots inside the app.
Nevertheless, you additionally want to advertise the takeover on different social media channels to draw as many individuals to your marketing campaign as potential. That is particularly mandatory in case your model’s Instagram account is not as developed or engaged as different channels.
The host and the visitor ought to promote the takeover on just a few of their channels main as much as the occasion to get each audiences as engaged and excited as potential.
6. Launch the takeover.
On the day of the takeover, it is all methods go.
Be sure to have one group member monitoring feedback and one group member importing content material to Instagram (if relevant). Keep in mind, customers can now add content from desktop computer systems along with the cellular app, which may make the method simpler from the workplace.
All through the day, cross-promote content material that the visitor is posting on their channels to assist draw new folks to your individual Instagram takeover occasion.
Be certain to speak when the takeover is beginning and ending. Observe in captions when the primary and final posts are occurring so viewers aren’t confused or abruptly left within the lurch, questioning if there’s extra content material forthcoming.
7. Analyze the outcomes.
As soon as the takeover is over, it is time to analyze its efficiency. Use the efficiency knowledge from the takeover to find out how (or if) you may do your subsequent takeover in a different way. Listed below are some inquiries to ask in your post-takeover evaluation:
- Did we obtain our purpose? Did you earn extra Instagram followers, obtain excessive ranges of engagement, or get guests to join your provide?
- Did we obtain secondary objectives? Did the takeover end in different web advantages on your model and your corporation?
- Was the takeover worthwhile? Did it prevent time and vitality creating your individual content material, or did it create additional work? Did it drive a push of site visitors and engagement, or did numbers stay principally the identical?
Even when the takeover would not drive exhausting numbers for your corporation’s backside line, takeovers are genuine and actual. Additionally they present an inside take a look at a side of your model or group followers do not usually see.
And simply because a takeover did not obtain your required outcomes on the primary launch it doesn’t suggest you should not give it one other strive later. That is why you’ll want to monitor its progress and outcomes as a way to do higher subsequent time.
Social media is about being social, so take note of qualitative suggestions, too. If commenters reply positively to the takeover, take their suggestions and use it for ideating future Instagram campaigns.
Instagram Takeover Examples
Listed below are examples of some glorious Instagram takeovers:
To advertise its model to Broadway followers, Broadways Plus had Hadestown actress Kimberly Marable takeover the corporate’s Instagram tales. The takeover was promoted the day earlier than by sharing a clip of Kimberly and the remainder of the solid singing throughout an NPR Tiny Desk live performance.
Through the takeover, Marable shared unique behind-the-scenes footage of the Hadestown tour and gave followers of the account a glimpse into the day within the lifetime of a Broadway performer. This labored in Marable’s favor as effectively as a result of doing so promoted the Hadestown tour to extra Broadway followers.
What I Like About This Instagram Takeover
This takeover offered well timed and related content material to followers of Broadway by having a outstanding star give an unique look right into a present tour. Marable was capable of share content material that solely she would have entry to, making the takeover that rather more precious.
2. Fenty Beauty
Superstar make-up artist Nina Ubhi took over cosmetics model Fenty Magnificence’s Instagram account tales in 2020. The purpose was to point out how make-up lovers can use model’s merchandise to realize the proper spring look.
Through the takeover, Ubhi gave fast make-up tutorials utilizing Fenty Magnificence merchandise whereas additionally showcasing her expertise as a make-up artist.
What I Like About This Instagram Takeover
This takeover brings worth to each present and potential Fenty Magnificence clients. Not solely did Ubhi promote the model’s merchandise, however followers of the account discovered tips on how to apply the make-up and create new seems.
As we talked about earlier than, an Instagram takeover could be simply as useful for the visitor as it’s for the host. For instance, the boy band Why Do not We promoted their music and tour by taking over Billboard magazine’s Instagram account. Through the takeover, the band shared behind-the-scenes tour footage and live-streamed parts of their live shows.
What I Like About This Instagram Takeover
The takeover was a deal with for basic music followers in addition to followers of the band due to the unique content material and live performance performances. The live-streamed live shows from the band’s performances particularly created an immersive expertise for Billboard followers.
4. MS Affiliation of America
To lift consciousness for a number of sclerosis, the MS Affiliation of America had actress Selma Blair take over the affiliation’s Instagram to share her expertise with the illness. During the takeover, Blair learn an excerpt from her autobiography “Imply Child: A Memoir of Rising Up” that particulars how MS has impacted her life.
What I Like About This Instagram Takeover
Having a celeb residing with MS be the visitor for the takeover was an effective way to boost consciousness of the illness. The movies of Blair studying excerpts from her guide gave a private contact that offered perception and stirred feelings from followers.
On-line clothes retailer ASOS teamed up with Neom Organics by having the natural magnificence line firm takeover the ASOS Instagram account. This confirmed ASOS clients that Neom is obtainable on the on-line retailer and it launched Neom Organics to a brand new viewers.
What I Like About This Takeover
That is one other nice instance of mutually useful takeover for each the visitor and host. ASOS confirmed its vary as a web based retailer however exhibiting that it sells extra than simply garments and equipment — clients may flip to the corporate for skincare wants as effectively.
On the similar time, Neom Organics used the chance to advertise its merchandise, attain new potential leads, and supply info on the place its merchandise could be discovered — at ASOS.
And there you’ve got it — a useful guidelines to launch a profitable Instagram takeover and 5 examples to encourage you. For extra concepts on tips on how to drive outcomes on your model, follow us on Instagram, and obtain our information to Instagram for business right here.
Has your model ever hosted an Instagram takeover? Share with us within the feedback beneath.